Millions of Children Rely on School MealsThroughout the school year, hungry kids have access to two wonderful programs - School Breakfast & School Lunch - both of which are offered at a free or reduced price to eligible families that are having a hard time making ends meet.
According to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's Child Nutrition Outreach Program (CNOP) "A family with 2 kids— one in elementary school and the other in middle school— that eat free breakfast and lunch at school every day would save around $1655 over the course of the school year." For many families, assistance is crucial.
So what happens when these children get out of school?
Throughout the summer all over the country community centers, YMCAs, churches and more band together to make sure children who rely on school meals can still gain access to nutritious food during the summer months. These Summer Meals Centers offer a safe location for any child under the age of 18 to receive a free meal, which is often paired with educational and recreational activities.
Many of the children who need Summer Meals never receive them.
One of the most common reasons is because children and their families simply do not know these meal centers exist. I ask that you please take a moment before you don your shades and enjoy the sun and share this information.
Help connect hungry kids with healthy food this summer.
You can find summer meals sites in your area by clicking on your state.
If you live in The Merrimack Valley (MA) You Can Find Summer Meals In:Methuen:
- Plugs Pond 119 Mill Street
- Haverhill Highschool 137 Monument Street
- YMCA Haverhill 81 Winter Street
- Consentino School 685 Washington Street
- Arlington Educational Complex 150 Arlington St.
- S Lawrence East Educ Complex 165 Crawford St.
- Parthum Educational Complex 255 East Haverhill St.
- No Common Educ Complex 233 Haverhill St.
- Leahy School 100 Erving Ave.
- Wetherbee School 75 Newton St.
- Beacon Courts 71 Duckett Ave.
- Merrimack Courts 56 Melvin St.
- Giesler Pool High St.
- Higgins Pool Crawford St.
- Gr. Law. Comm. Boating Prog. 7 Eaton Pl.
- Stadium Courts 179 Osgood St.
- Lawrence High School Campus 70-71 N. Parish Rd.
- Bruce School 135 Butler Street
- Boys and Girls club 136 Water Street
- Food for the World 447 Essex Street
- Hancock Courts 61 Hancock St.
- North Common ParkHaverhill St.
- South Common Park Market Street
If you want to see additional summer meals sites in Massachusetts please visit the Child Nurtition Outreach Program website